If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

- Hemingway

French men make me sick, always have done. I'm degenerate, but they are dirty with it. Not only in the physical sense either, they have greasy minds. Other foreigners may have garlic on their breath, but the frogs have it on their thoughts as well.

- Flashman

Thursday 7 October 2010

Yoda comes to Paris...

A nice ego boost is when the manager of the team comes in to the physio room to find out my progress and then tries to engineer a response from the physio which basically says I can play next week. This man has been very kind to me and we often joke about ‘le systeme’ whereby we are teaching each other our languages; he speaks English to me and I reply in French. However, you can never be sure what he’s going to come out with and he isn’t afraid to speak his mind. On the bus to training one evening we had the following conversation:

“You have very good pass. When you pass, very good”

I was taken aback, and when I’m not prepared I can blurt out any old rubbish. Translated back into English I replied, “Ah, very kind. Very kind, you are”. It is times like these that I cringe inside and realise that I’ve done it again. My failure to grasp word order in the heat of the moment means I’ve taken this poor man to the land of the Jedi and done my Yoda impression. On other occasions I have come out with, “To the toilet, I go.” “Play wide, we must” and “Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.”

Strictly speaking the last one wasn’t me.

Anyway, he who was so kind about my passing then brought me down to earth. Bluntness probably is accentuated through a language barrier but... “But when you kick, no. You do not kick well”




No comments:

Post a Comment