If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

- Hemingway

French men make me sick, always have done. I'm degenerate, but they are dirty with it. Not only in the physical sense either, they have greasy minds. Other foreigners may have garlic on their breath, but the frogs have it on their thoughts as well.

- Flashman

Monday 18 October 2010

Arty Weekend and 2x Colombes

Last week was a frustrating one in the end with many ups and downs. My injury to my hip/back improved but not quite enough for me to make the game on Sunday. To be running for the first time in 2 weeks on Wednesday was not soon enough to recover fully for Sunday. However, it meant I had more time to revise for my French test on Thursday morning. I should have got the results today but apparently I have to wait until Friday before finding out if I can move up a level. Tense...

It was nice to have the family out this weekend and after meeting for dinner on Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday followed a similar routine of Normandy arty stuff and then rugby at Colombes. Saturday morning we drove up to Auvers, north of Paris and the town where Van Gogh spent many years. We were in the jolly wee room he shot himself. The afternoon was spent with an awful game of rugby between Racing and Clermont Auvergne in the Heineken Cup. We had all four seasons which lead to the match resembling something like a JA3 game in the middle of January rain. However, Racing won. Boulevard Saint-Germain was where we headed for dinner.

Sunday morning we headed to another Impressionist master’s town – this time Giverny, Claude Monet and his water lilies. The afternoon was an odd one as all 4 of us watched my team, the Crabos playing Lyon. Any doubts about my attachment to this team and this group of boys disappeared when I reflected on my reaction to our match-winning try in the final minutes. High fives and me shouting, it was a great feeling to maintain the unbeaten record as a group even if I wasn’t involved. It was also a good excuse to hug and share body heat as it was freezing cold. Antony has many delights but cuisine is not one of them. We eventually headed to the most respectable looking Chinese restaurant which I can heartily recommend...if you just happen to be in the area, in which case you would have a problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment