If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

- Hemingway

French men make me sick, always have done. I'm degenerate, but they are dirty with it. Not only in the physical sense either, they have greasy minds. Other foreigners may have garlic on their breath, but the frogs have it on their thoughts as well.

- Flashman

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Sniffle, Sneeze and Academicals!

This week has not been a normal week as I’ve come down with a heavy cold. My weights session on Monday was ridden with sniffles as was my French class the following morning. Though it did give the opportunity to learn some new vocab: sneeze, cold, ‘bless you’ and so on. I went into training yesterday but then was told to go home, which was absolutely fine with me. I’ve been feeling a little better today but went to the Doctor at the club just in case there was anything else I should visit the pharmacy for. He then wrote out a list...So I’m back at home this afternoon watching ‘Friday Night Lights’ and reading ‘Literary Theory’, though not at the same time. UCAS is also calling my name, and my smug attitude this time last year has been replaced by a slight bashfulness now I realise what a pain it is.

However, THE most interesting development this week came on Monday morning when a new guy walked into the class. I thought I recognised him when he popped his head in the door, got quite excited when he said he was Scottish and was then nearly beside myself when he said his first name. As the class was being introduced I got told off for talking to him in English and so explained who I was and that I knew him (he also knew me), in French, which seemed rather silly given that he used to be at The Edinburgh Academy. In fact, he was the Dux in 2005, and now finds himself in Paris for a month before starting at a London Law firm. I wonder who can work out who he is. So this week we’ve had lunch in the Jardin du Luxemburg a couple of times, reminiscing about the goings on at Henderson Row.

I also was in touch with another Academical who left in 2006 and who is now playing his rugby (a stand-off!) in Bordeaux for Union Bordeaux-Begles in the Pro D2. Given we have an extraordinary amount in common, we chatted for rather a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment