If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

- Hemingway

French men make me sick, always have done. I'm degenerate, but they are dirty with it. Not only in the physical sense either, they have greasy minds. Other foreigners may have garlic on their breath, but the frogs have it on their thoughts as well.

- Flashman

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Toulon...Stade Francais...Cricket

L'équipe du RCT, champion de France 1931
The RC Toulon side who won the French Championship in 1931. But the challenge that lies in front of us first is a considerable one. Had it been anyone other than the Stade then we might have been slacking off this week. Training this evening was odd, our injury list is piling up and we need the our break to mend bodies. We had a good run around though. I got very excited as we were driving past the Bois de Boulogne and saw a cricket match taking place. I squealed to everyone else in the bus but they obviously didn't share my excitement, apart from one disparaging comment about Asians. I was turning my arm over in my idiosyncratic off-spin style all through training - everyone just thought I was warming up for the contact, none the wiser. The quote from training is: "You're a true Scot. You pass, you stop." A very valid summing up of Scottish rugby, which I told him. 


I can't believe it's got this far through the year and I haven't mentioned our Belgian prop. I suppose I never considered him a foreigner, not a real one at least. He's a lovely guy, humble and quietly destructive, as all the best props are of course.


It's personal on Sunday, bragging rights at stake, (especially for those who have worn the colours of both Parisian clubs) as they have been every time the Racing and Stade have met since 1892. Try tackling this monstrosity. 


You can read about the last match against Stade Francais here, or just look at the pictures:
http://fraser-gillies-10.blogspot.com/2011/01/racing-metro-14-3-stade-francais.html

No comments:

Post a Comment